Full-time Postdoctoral Research Position Available
ERC funded Postdoctoral Research Fellow
The position is fixed-term and will be filled for 32 months. The starting date is 1 October 2018, or negotiable.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will work within the ERC funded research dress history project Refashioning the Renaissance: Popular Groups, Fashion and the Material and Cultural Significance of Clothing in Europe, 1550–1650, led by Professor Paula Hohti (PI). This project studies the meanings and dissemination of western fashion in early modern Europe, especially at the lower social levels, and develops new material-based experimental and scientific research methods in dress history.
The team consists of two postdoctoral researchers, a doctoral researcher, a research assistant and a project administrator, who will collectively work towards the Refashioning the Renaissance project’s research goals. The Postdoctoral Research Fellow’s task is to design and co-ordinate the project’s research on experimental work and textile artefacts, focusing on technical analysis of textiles and reconstruction and visualization of historical source material. The Postdoctoral Research Fellow is also expected to participate in the project’s teaching and training activities, organize workshops, seminars and other events, and publish articles both independently and in collaboration with other team members. The main duties of the Postdoctoral Research Fellow include:
- To identify and record relevant visual and material evidence in European archives, archaeological collections and museums
- To plan, co-ordinate and carry out scientific, technical and digital analysis on historical textiles
- To design methods for historical and digital reconstruction of dress and textiles
- To create a dataset for the project’s database and publish at least four articles
- Other assisting work related to the project’s research and training activities
Qualified candidates for the Research Fellow’s position hold a PhD degree in early modern material culture history or in a related field. In addition, the successful candidates should have
- Fluent skills in English language
- Previous experience of, or interest in, historical and digital reconstruction and scientific experimentation
- Excellent research skills
- Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow’s position involves several research and training trips in Europe, and approximately 15% of the working time should be spent at the host institute.
Aalto University follows the salary system of Finnish universities. In addition to the monthly salary, the position includes an allowance towards research travel, conferences, training and publication costs.
How to apply
To apply for the position, please submit your application containing
- Motivation letter (1 page)
The applications for the postdoctoral researcher position are to be submitted through the eRecruitment system no later than on 25 May, 2018.
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
For more information
For additional information, please contact Professor Paula Hohti, paula.hohti(at)aalto.fi or in recruitment process related questions HR-coordinator Päivi Niemi paivi.j.niemi(at)aalto.fi.